Gout no laughing matter
"I have put my hand on some patients’ sore feet and then had to practically peel them off the ceiling”.Dr Tom James
“It shouldn’t be joked about. The classic inflamed swelling of a big toe joint for example is anything but funny. I have put my hand on some patients’ sore feet and then had to practically peel them off the ceiling”.
Dr James said some patient’s ankles and feet are particularly badly affected, and when they are having an attack they can’t bear any weight on them.
Gout is a form of arthritis that causes sudden and very severe attacks of pain and swelling in the joints. Although gout has commonly been associated with rich foods and alcohol there is now a clearer understanding about its causes, which include a genetic predisposition to high uric acid levels especially in Māori and Pacific people. However, both diet and maintaining a healthy weight play a role in reducing the risk of gout attacks.
Dr James is throwing the spotlight on gout this month ahead of a visit to Gisborne from, Arthritis New Zealand Educator Robyn Tuohy. Her All About Gout presentation will be at Three Rivers Medical (head upstairs and turn left), Wednesday 5 August, 5pm-7pm. You do not have to be a patient of Three Rivers Medical to attend.
Dr James says gout is the second most common type of arthritis in New Zealand and he encourages sufferers, and anyone who supports a family member with gout, to come along and find out more about what causes it and how to manage the condition.
- 27 November 2018 Cook-Off 2018!
- 24 July 2018 Welcome Dr Scott Schieber
- 22 November 2017 3 Rivers nurse joins elite echelon nurses
- 22 November 2017 Dr Nick Wright honoured in local hero awards
- 7 September 2017 Saving lives one wahine at a time
- 14 July 2017 Three Rivers Medical bucks national trend with three permanent GPs
- 20 June 2017 Light and shade
- 31 March 2017 Three Rivers GP part of groundbreaking diet research
- 7 March 2017 Really sick patients get help navigating health care system
- 8 December 2016 GBHS artist has work purchased by Three Rivers
- 8 November 2016 Carpark Masterchef
- 4 November 2016 Tame the flame at today's Cook Off
- 3 November 2016 Yellow fever vaccine now available in Gisborne
- 12 September 2016 Love your bones, protect your future
- 28 July 2016 Eke Tū: Gym instructor tackling invisible epidemic
- 1 April 2016 Winter is here!
- 8 August 2015 Gout no laughing matter