Welcome Dr Scott Schieber
Here, we get to work in this wonderful community and have the ocean right on our doorstep. It's amazing.Dr Scott Schieber
Gisborne is the perfect fit for the surf-loving California native who, with wife Kate and two of their four children, moved to New Zealand in June, 2018.
That's great news for Three Rivers Medical Centre, which has secured the services of a doctor with a career-long speciality in family medicine.
“In the United States family medicine is its own speciality with specific training, and that aligns nicely with the ideals of general practice in New Zealand,” he says.
“It is something I was always drawn to, largely because of those special relationships you can develop with patients over a period of time.”
That is a commitment Scott – a Medical College of Ohio graduate (1994) – has applied for the last two decades at the West Hills Healthcare Clinic, in Oregon.
And it is something he will continue when he eventually takes over the register of Three Rivers Dr Murray Smith, who retires later this year after more than 40 years of practice.
Until then, he will work the general roster at Three Rivers, while he and his family adjust to their new home.
As a licensed pilot with an interest in sports from surfing and snowboarding to triathlons and tree climbing, Scott will be making the most of the outdoor opportunities in and around Gisborne.
“We've been to New Zealand before – in fact, my wife and I came for our 40th birthdays – but what really sparked the move was talking to other doctors about achieving a better balance in life,” he says.
“Here, we get to work in this wonderful community and have the ocean right on our doorstep. It's amazing.”
- 11 November 2019 Cook Off controversy, but everyone eats well!
- 1 October 2019 "Go-to' nurse helps make life better
- 5 September 2019 Information about the confirmed measles case in Gisborne
- 27 November 2018 Cook-Off 2018!
- 24 July 2018 Welcome Dr Scott Schieber
- 22 November 2017 3 Rivers nurse joins elite echelon nurses
- 22 November 2017 Dr Nick Wright honoured in local hero awards
- 7 September 2017 Saving lives one wahine at a time
- 14 July 2017 Three Rivers Medical bucks national trend with three permanent GPs
- 20 June 2017 Light and shade
- 31 March 2017 Three Rivers GP part of groundbreaking diet research
- 7 March 2017 Really sick patients get help navigating health care system
- 8 December 2016 GBHS artist has work purchased by Three Rivers
- 8 November 2016 Carpark Masterchef
- 4 November 2016 Tame the flame at today's Cook Off
- 3 November 2016 Yellow fever vaccine now available in Gisborne
- 12 September 2016 Love your bones, protect your future
- 28 July 2016 Eke Tū: Gym instructor tackling invisible epidemic
- 1 April 2016 Winter is here!
- 8 August 2015 Gout no laughing matter